I’ve been thinking a lot about how to optimise my work, to become more efficient and to ensure that I am doing the right work at the right time. I feel like this is something that you never truly master but here are my top ten tips to start with:
- Turn off pop up alerts on Outlook
- Block out time in your diary so you can do some work not just attend meetings
- Put time in after meetings to do the actions from them (pretend you’re not back at your desk)
- Carve out some time to plan even if it is just a few minutes
- Don’t do work out of politeness – if someone in your team is better suited, pass it over immediately!
- Two minute rule – if it will take two minutes or less to do it, don’t add it to the list, just do it.
- Make a list of anything you are waiting for (replies, minutes, actions) and date them!
- Don’t make work urgent yourself – if people ask for things they might not be in a rush; at least check urgency
- Try to get out of meetings if you can
- But use the ones you can’t e.g. instead of emailing people before a weekly catch up, just raise stuff in the catch up!
I know a lot of this is hardly rocket science but sometimes, especially when work is manic, you need a reminder of the basics!